It is that time of year again when all the lovers showcase their love and affection for the significant other. Some people look forward to this day and others dread the public reminder that they are single and alone. Valentine’s Day can be great for some and hard for others but I’m going to give you some things that you can do to make you feel special regardless of your relationship status. I will provide activities that you can do by yourself with your friends or in a school setting.
Things to do by yourself:
- Get dressed up and make a special dinner for yourself.
- Order a heart-shaped pizza from Dominos.
- Watch a RomCom (Romantic Comedy).
- Spend time with your friends that are also single.
- Go to the gym.
Things to do with your friends:
- Get dressed up and go to a nice restaurant.
- Decorate your home with valentine decorations, bake cookies, and play games.
- Go to the bar and meet other singles.
- Have a wine night and make a list of qualities you want your partner to have.
- Go to the movies.
Things to do in a school setting:
- Make Valentine's Day a spirit day and everyone must wear either red or pink.
- Pass out candy and cards to students.
- Have each student talk about something they love.
- Play music during lunchtime.
- Give the students 10 minutes of free time during class.
Although Valentine's Day is for lovers it is also a time to show other people in your life that you love and care about them. So don’t spend the day dwelling on your feelings of being alone, but take the time to make yourself and others around you feel special and remember it is only one day and it doesn't have to be lonely being alone.
Author: Ashley Gattison, MSW ,School Social Worker